Music Makes Life Melodious

July 30, 2013

Has your household been a little lack lustre lately with all this rainy dull weather? Has your mood suffered as a result?

Our household has certainly experienced it's share of rainy day, or should I say rainy "week" blues.

But today something magical happened and the fog seemed to lift.

Apart from the wondrous blue skies and bright sun that has adorned our lives today, our household awoke to the sound of something magical.

The sound of music!!

And to think, here I was, almost at the end of my tether. Months of cabin fever and various other depressing circumstances had left me feeling very lack lustre indeed. Yet it seems that all it takes is a little music to lift our mood.

Why hadn't I thought of it sooner!

But I can't boast about the discovery, because it wasn't my idea to begin with.

Our darling daughter had noticed the large dusty box with the picture of a piano collecting dust in the back room. Yes, tragic i know. It was a precious gift from my brother and had been collecting dust for years. Having 2 children in quick succession and living in a small house meant I'd convinced myself that we just didn't have the time or space for something so cumbersome. Silly me!

Because, really it has changed our lives in an instant.

The quaint tinkering of our daughter's delicate hands on the keys is rather soothing and surprisingly the boy-hand bashing of keys by our little rascal is rather entertaining - more so than I would have expected.

And what's even more surprising, is the self-playing feature and all the electronic back beats - YES even they are uplifting. Nothing like a little elevator music to lift the mood...yes, things must have been bad to even make such a statement! They were.

But today is a good day! Music has taken the place of boredom and dullness. And it's staying! Tinker, bash and play play play I say!!! Liven up your life with a little music; fill the empty walls with vibrations of melody and listen with delight!

Music really does make life melodious! I would even go as far as to suggest that it doesn't even matter the style, as long as it's there. So go home and pull out that dusty guitar, open that creaky piano, bash on the drums or just put on the first track you can find. It doesn't have to be "live" to be good! It just has to BE!

Let music envelope you in a way that washes the blues away. And next time the rains set in, before you sink into the couch for another self-inflicted sad session, hit play on the ipod!!!

For more information on how and why music can lift our mood, visit the great resources below:

http://news.discovery.com/human/psychology/music-dopamine-happiness-brain-110110.htm

http://www.bodyandsoul.com.au/sex+relationships/wellbeing/music+lifts+your+mood,11449

http://www.healthychildren.org/English/healthy-living/emotional-wellness/Pages/Music-and-Mood.aspx?nfstatus=401&nftoken=00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000&nfstatusdescription=ERROR%3a+No+local+token



"Music has the power to make me feel good like nothing else does. It gives me some peace for a while. Takes me back to who I really am." Gil Scott-Heron




You Might Also Like

0 comments

Would love to hear from you - please share your thoughts