Sparkling Moments

July 21, 2023

Today I was listening to the radio when the announcer began discussing wellbeing. She asked listeners to phone in and tell her genuinely how they were feeling? She said she didn't want nonsense answers like "I'm well thanks", but instead, authentic answers - whether they be negative or positive! I was instantly hooked and began to listen keenly.

I've never been one for the old fashioned "I'm well thanks" answer, because it's always felt insincere - like it's all for the sake of etiquette. These days (with the busyness of life and mental health issues on the rise) I think it's way more important to be true to ourselves and others - share our genuine feelings, stories and vulnerabilities. It creates connection and helps us not feel so alone. After all, everyone experiences ups and downs. Life's pipeline can deliver fun and giggles some days and grief and loneliness on others. There's no telling what's going to arrive tomorrow, so it's important to be self-aware and even have a resilience toolbox on the ready, should we ever need it.

Now, back to the radio show! The callers came in slowly and many delivered positive answers, including a lively octogenarian gentleman, who said he was "having the best day of his life" as he "looks like Tom Cruise and lives near the ocean". I couldn't help but smile as I listened to the array of callers describe their joy.

And then of course, there were those who called in expressing their distress, having suffered from anxiety and depression most of their lives. One said that "today their anxiety levels were sitting at 20%" and she considered it "a good day". 

It was during a similar conversation, that the caller, despite their troubles, expressed their desire to find positives every day. After listening wholeheartedly, the announcer declared that "yes, it's important to seek out sparkling moments, especially when times are tough." I liked her analogy, and it's true, if we look closely enough, even on dark days, sparkling moments are there. They may be small, but they exist. It might just be the smile on your child's face, the bird that visits your patio, the warmth of the sun, a conversation with a friend.

I was proud of the people who called in and showed their hand, revealed their honest answers and displayed vulnerability. Listening to them all made me feel connected. Their truth gave me comfort and reminded me that none of us are alone! Each and every one of us experiences challenges and if we're lucky, we get to experience joy too.

I've always valued authenticity and my "true feelings", and I'm never afraid to express them - ask my friends - they'll tell you! I will continue to do so, if not only for the hope that my story - my true expression of self (whether negative or positive) - will help others feel connected too!

May you all have wonderful, truthful weekends! And don't forget to look for sparkling moments.

In the meantime, here are some great resources to help you nurture your mental wellbeing and fill your resilience treasure chest. 

Photo courtesy of Unsplash - Ivana Cajina

© Positivity Aplenty




You Might Also Like

0 comments

Would love to hear from you - please share your thoughts