The things that matter

August 15, 2012

Look beyond life's uncertainties to the things that matter. These little miracles are often just what we need to secure peace in our hearts.

Obviously from recent posts it's easy to see that I am one of many to be faced with the unpleasant situation of being forced to leave a job and a team I love.

Forced redundancy along with many other obstacles in life can cause immense despair. I've found myself suffering a multitude of emotions in recent times and often it's difficult to rise above it all and continue to place one foot in front of the other to get on with the job of raising my two young children. But life must go on and there are always rainbows along the way, even though the clouds appear heavy and dark some of the time.

My bright and brilliant rainbows this week, came in the form of my two children, of course. Chldren can bring such joy to life when we are otherwise despondent....not denying that they can also bring challenges. But this particular day, the rainbows glowed long enough for me to embrace and remember what really matters!

My first rainbow appeared bright and early one morning. For the first time ever in her sweet little life, my beautiful 3 year old daughter (soon to be 4), made me breakfast, all on her own. She refused to have me do anything, saying "Mumma please sit down, I'll do it." The joy and pride I felt was overwhelming and all my troubles seemed to melt away in that very special moment - watchng her go to the cupboard for the bowl and cereal, then to the cutlery draw for the spoon and at last the fridge for the milk, which she amazingly poured without spilling a drop. She smiled with glee during the entire operation and my heart glowed. Suddenly I knew that things would turn out in the end.

The second rainbow lit up my world the very next day when my cheeky comedic 2 year old son decided to shower himself with a water bubbler in a local playground, all the while cackling to himself like a naughty schoolboy. He is most certainly destined to become a performer with his repertoire of silly antics which often leave me amused at times when I should be shocked and disciplinary. His little show certainly turned my heart upside down and had me giggling like a school girl myself. I watched him happily soak himself on a cold winter's day and found myself looking forward to the years ahead when there are sure to be many a call from the principal's office, where again I may struggle to keep a straight face.

During such a desperate and uncertain time I was able to see that life still provides a constant source of little miracles that make us smile, laugh, reflect, reminisce, imagine, dream, discover and believe! These are the moments that reconnect our spirits, the ones that give us faith to carry on believing that all is as it should be - that there are obviously so many more magical times ahead. And this can only mean that all our dreams are most certainly destined to be realised in the near future. Hang on to family, friends and dreams. Hang on to hope and the tiny miracles you see everyday. They are the things that matter.



You Might Also Like

0 comments

Would love to hear from you - please share your thoughts