Shine with Youth and Enthusiasm

March 14, 2014

Recently I met a 91 year old woman who didn't look a day over 65.

Her physicality, intellect and life force were in total contrast to her age.

She sat at a friend's breakfast table in a long classic gown and a glowing string of pearls. 
She showered her companions with style and grace and a polished politeness rarely seen these days.

Everything about her was simply enchanting and it was astonishing to see such youthful exuberance in a person her age. She was as vibrant as the next 20 year old. 

Despite the lifelong trials and tribulations she surely must have faced, she naturally spoke with such joy and enthusiasm. Upon meeting me she exclaimed, "Oh Mary, what a glorious day we have before us". 

Her grand Victorian accent soothed my soul and took me on a journey back through time, and It was in that moment that I was struck by the reality of mortality and the speed at which time must surely fly. 

This woman was arriving on a boat from England with her young family one minute and then living as an aged pensioner on a Montville farm the next. And yet, there was nothing "aged" about her - her vibrancy was both magnetic and iridescent.

Having survived many siblings and raised 3 children with her husband of 70 years (who is also still alive) she has gone on to live an inspiring life in retirement, remaining in her own large acreage home, tending to her magnificient sprawling gardens and travelling regularly on planes to visit family and friends

We spoke at length about a shared passion for mountains and she enthusiastically said to me "Mary, I simply SHINE in the mountains."  I don't think I'll ever forget that statement....what a wonderfully positive and uplifting outlook. No wonder she remains so youthful.

I was moved beyond measure - for here was someone who still wakes every day to the joy of life. 

As I said my goodbyes I walked away reflecting upon the fleeting yet miraculous nature of life - every single moment counts - the good and the bad, the old and the new. They are all gifts to be cherished. And most importantly of all is the NOW. For some of us are here for the long haul and others are taken so very quickly (as has been the case in our community recently).

Life is grand, glorious and astonishing. Embrace every minute and relish the time you have. Aspire to be the best you can be each and every day, live for now and look ahead to a bright future with memories busting at the seams of your existence!!!!

Retain your youth - wear pearls and gowns to breakfast - I dare you!
And while you're at it, take a moment to think about what makes you SHINE!!! 

Mountains and trees make me SHINE....your turn!

Photo courtesy of SXC



.



You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. I don't know about shine, but clean surf lines make me froth! Great article.

    ReplyDelete

Would love to hear from you - please share your thoughts